Friday, September 19, 2008

All that Fancy Booklernin'

Today, at work, a fellow server told me that she overheard one of her tables talking about how people that go to Calhoun CC have no intention of finishing their degrees or really want to learn.

That made us both angry. She being a fellow Calhoun student who has taken a hiatus but has every intention of finishing and myself who went there for 4 semesters, and is only a few semesters away from finishing and Jason who went there first when he started back at school and has now JUST finished his last class at Faulkner and graduating in December.

I'm sorry that I don't have the money to go to a fancy 4 year college for all 4 years. Calhoun offers the same classes that UAH/AandM/UNA/Faulkner/Etc... offer and for much cheaper and frankly, I enjoyed my time at Calhoun more than I enjoyed UNA, and I haven't really been at UAH long enough to tell.

I was just angry that she made a generalization about me, my friends, my family. Sure, there are 2 year degrees at Calhoun but those are like Nursing and important things like that.

And she just assumes that because this server and I are servers we obviously haven't gone to college. Aren't in college. Don't have plans to finish college. Most servers are either in school and paying for it by serving or have graduated and the money is so good, they can't leave.

And who are you to judge me lady, I'm in school AND working my way through it. And you, you're sitting at someone's table for HOURS on a workday...why aren't you working? Did you finish school? Whore.

::stepping off my soap box now::

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got a killer job offer this weekend that just shocked me. My immediate response was, "I don't have a degree in teaching OR theatre" and she looked straight back at me and said, simply, "We don't care...a degree isn't everything...but experience is".

And it was SO nice to hear.

HonestToBlog said...

And see....that's my problem. I would LOVE to have your job, Jo. And I know I'd be good at it (not as good as you, but I'd try..<3) but I fear my age and lack of degree and seeing as I am currently in school, I don't think that I'd be hired for something like that.

I just want out...