Thursday, August 7, 2008

Daughter knows best

So yesterday, I called my dad and told him I had registered for Fall classes.

Anyone who really knows me knows that my dad and I haven't always seen eye to eye.

Well, when I called him yesterday he said that he was going to come by my work today and give me 200 bucks for books.

Well today, waking up, I try to not think about it all day. I keep checking the clock, waiting for 1pm because that's when he said he was going to show.

My tables all cleared out and I was cleaned up and cashed out by 1ish.

I sat down and talked with Deanna and Deb for a while and around 1:30-1:45, I decided I wasn't going to wait anymore.

I go back to the kitchen, grab and Coke and walk to leave when I hear my dad.

He was there, late but there.

He gave me the 200 bucks which really helped me with my books and we went to Rosie's for lunch.

As my wedding approaches and the thought of children gets closer and closer, I realize that not only do I need my dad in my life at this point but I want him to be. But he needs to want to, or its all for nothing.

He says he wants to be active in the wedding planning and I'll let him, I just hope it's not setting me up for another disappointment.

That's a chance I'm going to take. I'm just glad that I am breaking that cycle. My mom didn't have a dad, I didn't have a dad, but my kids will. Jason is going to be the best father and (god forbid) if anything happened between us, I know he wouldn't ditch his children.

I'm going to let him back in. And when he disappoints again (because he will) I'll be just as upset.
But that's fathers and daughters.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your dad came through! Woo hoo! Maybe the Father's Day meal has him thinking, too. My dad has been dead for 32 years, and I still have issues with him, so you're right to keep trying as long as he doesn't harm you in any way.

Love, mcarolinep

Anonymous said...

Yaaay! He showed up! Definite improvement. And yes, I concur with my fellow Dogbox...good to keep trying. =)

So you want a tattoo eh? Ooh la la what would it be? I've always wanted a black music note on my wrist...but I doubt that'll ever happen.

Love Nurse Flynn

Anonymous said...

You know how I feel about your Father... I really do think he's a good guy, and I enjoy his company. All the same if this ends up being a disappointment for you on what should be the happiest day of your life, I may have to send some old co-workers from my "West" days to visit him with lead pipes in hand.

XOXOX,
J.